Point State Park is designated as a National Historic Landmark because the land was considered to be a strategic location in the Ohio Valley. The French and English built forts here; outlines of Fort Duquesne and Fort Pitt can be seen integrated into the landscape. After the French and Indian War ended in 1763, the land transformed many times until it became a 36-acre state park in 1974. The park was designed by Ralph E. Griswold, and it includes a pedestrian passage designed by Charles M. Stotz known as the portal bridge.
The renovation of the park that started in 2006 was led by landscape architect Marion Pressley of Pressley Associates.
Ralph E. Griswold (1894-1981) served as the landscape architect for the project. Griswold also designed the landscape of Chatham Village in the Mount Washington neighborhood of Pittsburgh which was deemed a National Historic Landmark in 2005.
Charles M. Stotz (1899-1985) was the architect on the project. Stotz had an interest in historic fort perservation. He restored Old Economy Village in Ambridge, Pennsylvania and worked on a plan for Fort Pitt.
Marion Pressley is a principal at Pressley Associates Landscape Architecture of Boston, Massachussets.