|Commissioning Entity||Alcoa Foundation|
|Owner||City of Pittsburgh|
James Myford began creating aluminum sculpture after participating in a workshop in the 1970s sponsored by Pittsburgh-based Alcoa, an aluminum manufacturer. The artist still uses the methods developed for this sculpture in his work. He carves Styrofoam and buries the pieces in foundry sand. Molten aluminum is poured onto the foam, leaving an identical aluminum form.
Fabrication of this sculpture took eight months, with over a year of planning. It weighs nearly 2,800 pounds. The work was a gift to the City of Pittsburgh by the Alcoa Founation.
James Myford (b. 1940) has been creating sculptures out of aluminum since 1970. He lives and works in the Pittsburgh area.