Brew House Association fosters invention, collaboration, creative risk-taking, and the pursuit of artistic excellence. The 2,780 square foot gallery presents exhibitions from artist-groups year-round and an annual exhibition featuring emerging artists in the 11-month residency program, Distillery. This program provides one-on-one mentoring, professional development workshops, and community partnership opportunities to 7 artists per year who also have subsidized studios in the building. Brew House Association also offers event rentals and flexible work areas for performers, creative businesses, and non-profits.
The building we know as the Brew House began its life as a brewery, hence the name, which opened in 1899 under control of the Duquesne Brewing Company and was producing beer by mid-1900. The Brewery thrived for most of its 73 years of production, surviving several changes in ownership, Prohibition, and two World Wars. Financial woes and stiff competition led the brewery’s closing in 1972. After sitting dormant for over a decade, the late 1980s saw the vacant buildings of the Duquesne Brewing Company become the homes and workspaces for local artists in the South Side. Those artists started organizing in 1990 and in 1993 officially became a non-profit group, the Brew House Association.